Volunteer Income Tax Assistance



Welcome to VITA at UCLA!

Founded in 1987, VITA at UCLA provides free federal and state income tax preparation assistance to low- to moderate-income, disabled, and elderly individuals in the Los Angeles community. It is our goal to help and educate people in filing tax returns to help clarify the process and provide assistance to those who otherwise would go without aid. Each year, we train approximately 200 UCLA undergraduate students in individual income tax preparation. In 2017, our volunteers served hundreds of clients, saving them over $450,000 through tax refunds and credits.


Students at UCLA may join VITA during Fall or Winter quarters. Volunteers will be equipped to file tax returns through extensive, interactive training sessions. Volunteers will learn about general tax concepts and tax situations for low-income, international, and elderly clients. Additionally, training sessions will include tax client simulations in order to train volunteers for client interactions. For Fall volunteers, training will take place over a 7 week period from Weeks 3 to 9 (no training on week 8), with an additional 2 weeks of training during Winter quarter in Weeks 1 and 2. For Winter volunteers, trainings are condensed into a 4 week course from Weeks 3 to 6. Tax sites will last from the end of January to mid-April. Join today!

Applications are now open for Winter 2019. Click here to apply, good luck!

Appointments Calendar

Select a date on the calendar below and click on the "Register Now!" Button to register for an appointment and to view available timeslots left for upcoming appointments. If you have any questions, email us at vitaucla@gmail.com.

Need help finding the Viewpoint Conference Rooms? Click here!

Volunteer FAQs

Client FAQs

  • Preparation

  • Who can file their taxes with VITA?
    We primarily serve low-income and elderly individuals residing in the state of California. Please note that at this time this site is not equipped to file married-filing-separate (MFS) returns, itemized returns, out of state returns, prior year returns, resident aliens claiming a tax treaty, business use of home, or net operating loss.
  • What should I bring to the tax site?
    Required for all:
    (1) Photo ID: Driver’s license, passport, student ID, etc.
    (2a) Social Security cards for you, your spouse and any dependents you are claiming on your return. Photo copies or electronic images of social security cards are acceptable.
    (2b) An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse, and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number.
    (3) Bank account routing and account numbers if you would like to receive a direct deposit (a blank check is acceptable).
    If applicable to your situation:
    (4) Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers.
    (5) Interest and dividend statements from banks or brokerages (Forms 1099).
    (6a) All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements.
    (6b) Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received.
    (7) Form 1098-T for educational expenses (MyUCLA -> Finances and Jobs -> 1098T).
    (8) Invoices indicating total amount paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s EIN or SSN.
    (9) Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state.
    (10) A copy of last year’s federal and state returns.
    (11a) For everyone: a filled out intake Form 13614-C.
    (11b) If you are a nonresident alien: a filled out intake Form 13614-NR.
    Notes for certain situations:
    (1) To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-jointly (MFJ) tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
    (2a) If you are a foreign non-resident, we are unable to file tax returns unless you have access to GLACIER tax preparation services (through UCLA or other employer).
    (2b) If you are a foreign non-resident with access to GLACIER, please fill out your GLACIER forms prior to tax site. If you do not have your GLACIER forms fully filled out, we are unable to file for you.
  • Tax Sites

  • When are tax sites?
    Tax site times may vary depending on how close we are to April 15th or if the site is on-campus or off-campus. Check the appointments calendar for up-to-date information!
  • Where are tax sites?
    Our on-campus tax sites are primarily located at Ackerman Viewpoint Conference Rooms A and B in Ackerman Union at UCLA (directions here). We also have off-campus tax sites at different locations in the LA area; check the appointments calendar for more information!
  • Where are the Viewpoint Conference Rooms?
    The Viewpoint Conference Rooms are located in Ackerman Union (address: 308 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095) on the A-level. Click here for directions!
  • Where can I park?
    Parking Rates / Fee: UCLA Parking Pay Stations give you short-term parking options in lots and structures located throughout campus. Rates range from $1.00 for 20 minutes to $12 for the entire day.
    For your convenience, we have marked some parking structures close to our tax site on this Google Map:
  • How are VITA members qualified to file on my behalf?
    All of our volunteers have undergone extensive tax filing training and are certified by the IRS to file tax returns. Additionally, each return is quality reviewed twice before being sent to the IRS, so at least three volunteers individually check your return before filing to ensure no mistakes are made.
  • How long will it take to complete my tax return?
    Depending on your individual situation, the process may range from 45 minutes to several hours. For each return, we prepare, review, print, and walk-through it with the client to ensure accuracy and satisfaction before filing.
  • Filing Your Return

  • When will I get my refund?
    If you e-file with us, we send returns to the IRS within 3 days of your visit. The IRS can take from two weeks to a month to process your returns and deposit your refund.
  • If I don’t have enough money in my account to pay my tax due, what do I do?
    First, you should always file your return on time to minimize your tax penalties. A tax extension does not give you more time to pay any taxes owed; it only extends the deadline for filing your return! If you can pay all your taxes in 120 days or less, you may qualify for a short-term extension to pay from the IRS; check the IRS website. You can also pay off your debt over time by applying for an installment agreement, which is a monthly payment plan. You may qualify for an online installment payment agreement with the IRS as long as you owe $50,000 or less.

Our Sponsors

Reach Out to Us

Feel free to also contact us at vitaucla@gmail.com